Monday, January 21, 2013

The Questioning

Show:The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzimia
Character: Kyon
Genre: Drama
Scene: Kyon questions himself as to why he chose to go back to the normal world when he complains about it's oddities so often. Alternate universe limbo type place. Think of this scene kind of like Gollum Good Kyon talking to Unsettled Kyon.
Monologue:

Why was I the only one unaffected? The answer is simple, she wanted to let me make the choice. Is the altered one better, or is the original one better? The choice is mine. Damn it… what were my thoughts originally? What did I think of the incidents Haruhi caused and of various crazy scenarios I was thrust into? “To hell with this” “Enough already” “Are you an idiot?” “I’ve had enough of you.” I was a normal guy who got dragged into this against his wishes, a high school student who complained while he struggled to meet Haruhi’s unreasonable demands. That was my role. Now then me. Yes you! I ask myself, this is an important question so listen closely, and then answer. Here comes the question, do you find such an extraordinary school life fun? Answer me. Think about it, well? Let’s hear it. Being run around in circles by Haruhi, being attacked by aliens, hearing weird talk from time travelers, listening to more weird talk from espers, running into countless messed up situations, and on top of that, having to follow the strict rule of keeping it all secret from Haruhi, by keeping her oblivious to the fact that she’s the cause of the whole mess. Don’t you find that fun? Or do you think it’s too much trouble and want no further part of it? Is that right? So basically this is what I think? Is that so, is that how it is? You think Haruhi is annoying, that everything that comes from her is depressing? So you don’t think any of that s interesting? Don’t tell me it’s not true. You know it is. And yet, you pressed the enter key. The emergency escape program. The tool that Nagato left behind to revert the change. “Ready?” You answered yes to that question am I right? The great Nagato went out of her way to create a stable world for you but you rejected it. Why? Aren’t you constantly complaining? Aren’t you always lamenting your misfortune? If that’s the case, shouldn’t you have jut ignored the emergency escape program? In that world, Hauhi would just be a normal human who bosses people around, Asahina-san would be an incredibly moe character, Koizumi would be an ordinary high school student and Nagato would be a quiet girl who loves books. Yes, she would remain expressionless, but still laugh at lame jokes, then blush in embarrassment. And then as time goes by she would gradually open up her heart. That’s the kind of person she might become. You abandoned the chance for such a peaceful life. Why? I’ll ask one last time, answer clearly. Don’t I find being with Haruhi and being dragged into Haruhi’s troubles fun? Answer me.
Of course I do! Of course it was fun! Don’t ask me something so obvious!
If anyone were asked this question, and answered that they actually don’t find it interesting then they would be a genuine idiot. Thirty times more senseless than Haruhi. There are aliens, time travelers and espers there, you know! Just one would be fun enough, but there are three interesting characters! On top of that, there’s even a maximum power Haruhi you know? And there are even more mystery powers out there too! There’s no way this isn’t fun for me. No matter how many time you ask me, my answer will stay the same: Of course.
Video of Scene:
Start at around 2:07 

No comments:

Post a Comment